Monday, July 28, 2008

The Amazing Augustus

It seems like it has been a while since my last post. I have been crazy busy this week, more so than usual. All is good down here in Southern Nevada though. Yesterday I managed to get back out to Goodsprings to check on my local herd. I usually see the same band of horses each time I head out, but this time was different. I caught up to a new band, a much larger one with about 10 to 11 horses. There were also 4 burros tagging along for the journey. Beautiful animals. Being out there with the wild ones is so incredibly peaceful, but thats a whole other blog. :) As for Augustus, all is well. Surprisingly, his fly mask has been on all week. I think with the rise in temperature and the flies that follow, he has become quite appreciative of the once annoying and bothersome fly mask. Besides our usual walks and explorations, we had some good fun with our playground. Spent some time playing on ramps and with barrels. I set up a small jump to see what Gus would think of it, and he loved it. It seems that as long as I do it first, then he is down for a new challenge. When he cleared the pole and came down on the other side, he was so excited, tossing his head and ready for more. I am still thinking about doing the NWHA Adoption and Show in October. I think it could be alot of fun, and Gus might actually enjoy it, but things are not completely set in stone that the event will even get off the ground at this time. Also, if you are in the Las Vegas area and will be making it out to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area this fall, keep a look out for Gus and I. The NWHA sets up shop one Saturday out of the month at the Visitor's Center, answering any questions and addressing concerns folks may have about current issues. We usually have a wild one or two on display in the round pen. Kids really enjoy being able to pet and see a wild horse or burro, and I feel it helps promote adoptions and boosts fundraising. So, I think Gus and I will be making a few field trips out there. I will keep everyone posted in case you want to stop by and say hello.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Learning is FUN!

Kevin R Thomas said...

That first picture is awsome. I can't even get my cats to move. It will be another couple years before they start jumping over things.

Mikey said...

Great pics! Love it! Gus looks like he's having a blast. I'm so glad you spend the time with him, it really shows :) Can't wait to see what the future holds for you two!

Mikey said...

My dear, you've been tagged at my blog!

arlene said...

Gus is beautiful. You look like such a good team. Lucky you being able to see the wild horses and burros!

Karen C. said...

Okay, who is having more fun, you or Gus? :-)

Fabulous pictures!

Karen and Tripp