Monday, September 8, 2008

Another Step in the Journey

Hey folks! Wow, it has definitely been a crazy two weeks since my last posting. First off, I actually went on a small vacation for a few days at the end of August. There is nothing like getting out of town, stepping back on some familiar ground, sharing goodly converse and libations with a few of your closest friends, enjoying the company of and getting to know some new friends, seeing one of the best bands of all time in concert for the second time, and just living...a much needed vacation. So, lots of cool stuff happening over the next few weeks out here for anyone who may be interested. As I have recently posted, I will be teaching the Much Ado About Mustangs class about Wild Horse and Burro Awareness at Shiloh Horse Rescue on September 13th, 2008. From the emails and interest I have been receiving, it seems the space is filling up fast so make sure you RSVP soon and I hope to see some of you there! With the NWHA, we have a few things in the works and are always looking for volunteers and folks just wanting to help in any way possible. With our group, if you are interested in helping in any way, you must become a member first. For more information about being a member of the NWHA, click on our NWHA Membership and fill out the information accordingly. We will be having our 18th Annual National Wild Horse Association Wild Horse & Burro Show and Adoption on October 18 & 19, 2008. On September 2oth, the 8th Annual Pahrump Pony Express Trail Ride will be taking place, and two other friends of mine will be riding as well. As far as Augustus is concerned, he has been doing great. We have been practicing loading and unloading the trailer and so far we have had no issues. He willingly follows me into the trailer and backs out beautifully. He is so cute listening to all of the familiar sounds from outside and looking through the openings. We are going to continue checking out that trailer frequently over the next few weeks, and maybe...just maybe we will be entering the NWHA show in October. I still haven't decided yet if I want to show versus working the adoption. I also jumped up on his back the other day and stayed on for about ten minutes or so. You guys have seen the pictures of me laying across his back, getting used to the weight and all before, but at this particular moment I don't think I could have had a bigger smile. It was such a relaxing, quiet day at Shiloh and Gus was so mellow. I jumped on, paying attention to any body tension and watching his ears. Luckily, Elisa was in earshot and ran over with her camera phone and snapped a few pictures. Gus just walked around the arena like he didn't even know I was on his back. I held the lead in my left hand, talking to him while rubbing just to the right of his withers. We managed a left turn, walked back toward Elisa, and I hopped off like it was standard practice. He has really turned into a wonderful, solid young horse and I couldn't be happier.






5 comments:

Andrea said...

Congratulations on hopping on! I know that feeling, isn't it wonderful? You two look good together.

Mikey said...

Oh that's so good! Awesome! I wondered when we'd see a pic of you on Gus. He's perfect, isn't he? I look forward to seeing him in person. I have a carrot with his name on it.
I'll be at Shiloh late Sat night/Sun morning! Check my blog for the whole story, but I'm bringing in a blind mare no one wants, and I hope you'll make sure she gets situated properly and gets lots of love.
I'm really bummed I can't get there for your seminar, I would love to hear it and meet you in person, but I think I'll be there super late and leaving first thing in the morning. Bummer :(

FishermansDaughter said...

Welcome back and lookin good! Wish I could make it to the seminar, can't wait to hear all about it.

Emily Thomas said...

Your boy is beautiful! Gotta love those mustangs. Looks like you've really accomplished a lot with him!

Katherine said...

Eric, thanks again for the presentation. And I know just how you feel about those first steps! Sometimes, they are most fun when they're spontaneous, as it was for you with Gus...