Monday, September 22, 2008

Photos by TDK

Hello all -
First off, I would like to take a quick moment and put out a big "Thank You" to Mikey out of Arizona for trekking all the way up to Idaho and then all the way back down to Sandy Valley, bringing in a blind mare to Shiloh. She is now in a safe, loving home where she is getting all sorts of attention and carrots. I also want to congratulate all the trainers and Mustangs who recently competed in the 2008 Extreme Mustang Makeover competition on September 20th in Fort Worth, Texas (especially my friends Buddy Uldrikson / AZ, Karen Cooper / MO, Matt Replogle / NV, and Robert Carlson / CA). Mark Lyon of Arlington, Nebraska took home the grand prize. You can check out all the contest scores and winners at the EMM 2008 website.
Okay, so thanks for stopping back in folks. I trust everyone is doing well. As usual, it has been crazy busy for Augustus and I out here in Nevada. My class last weekend, Much Ado About Mustangs, was a huge success. Sixteen people came out to listen and learn about the wild horses and burros and what they can do to help. The class went way over the time we had originally scheduled it for, but that was because of all the interest and questions the participants had. We covered history, laws, current issues and challenges, freezemarkings, HMA's, the adoption program, and euthanasia. If you name it, we probably talked about it. It was wonderful to hear everyone's comments and concerns, opening their eyes to the underlying factors that these animals are experiencing. The foals from the Nevada Wild Horse Range (Nellis) that we have been fostering have been finding homes left and right. The few remaining can be viewed from the National Wild Horse Association website, and will be in the Pahrump Fall Festival Parade on September 27th. I will be walking one of these cute little foals in the parade, so if you want one make sure you send in your application and adoption fee as soon as possible. :) Augustus is doing great. He is getting bigger every day it seems. I took some height and weight measurements a few weekends back, but they are not 100% reliable. According to my measurement tape, in a gale force wind storm, Gus was 14 hands and probably overweight. I think if I can remember to do so on Sunday, I will use Shiloh's measure and get an accurate reading and let all of you know then. So, besides pulling the hose out of the automatic watering system for his pasture this weekend, and spraying all horses within a 20 ft radius as the hose whipped around uncontrollably, Gus was very relaxed. We had a great day on Sunday walking with fellow Shiloh Boarder and Trainer, Dave Hickey, and his horse, Rookie. The four of us explored the back acres of Shiloh and then took off into the open desert of Sandy Valley, just takin' it easy and enjoying the peace and quiet. Both Augustus and Rookie had a great time, checking out all the new surroundings, sights, and sounds that the valley had to offer. I hope that Dave and Rookie decide to accompany Gus and I on many more adventures out there in the open desert...I am sure that Gus enjoyed the "equine" company. A bit later in the day, Tara Kilpatrick stopped by to test out her new camera. Tara is a volunteer for BLM and NWHA and spends so many hours a week observing our local herds. She usually observes them in the mornings and I will see them in the afternoon. Anyway, Tara really enjoys photography and I was honored to have her come out to Shiloh a snap a few pics of Gus and I. She really seems to capture the moment and the colors of the desert with her shots. The first three photographs from this posting were taken by Tara on September 21st. Tara also does notecards, mailing labels, envelopes, etc, so let me know if you would be interested in her services. The next picture posted is one of my "Mustang" class and the next two were taken by Deonna Hickey while Gus and I were in the Round Pen on September 15th.




2 comments:

arlene said...

Lovely photos. You both look so happy and relaxed together in that bottom picture.

Karen C. said...

Eric, as I said on another posting, I am catching up. I absolutely love the pictures of you and Gus together...the two of you are kindred spirits.

Hugs to you both!

Karen C.
Mid-MO and Tripp