Monday, December 15, 2008

Saddle Breakin'

Howdy all! The saddle process is well underway and going good. Augustus has been a real trooper and hasn't had much of an issue with any of it. Our previous ground work has really paid off. Once he is tacked up, he is completely fine and it is funny watching him get used to the saddle bouncing a bit when he trots. The only issue Gus has is the few moments before the actual pad is placed on his back. He "anticipates" the process and it takes a few seconds before he remembers what is going on and finally relaxes. I have hopped on bareback many times, but I am becoming more and more anxious to put that foot in the stirrup and enjoy the ride. Very, very soon. :)








6 comments:

Andrea said...

What a good boy he is! My Tonka still gets nervous about the saddle pad going onto his back if I haven't been riding much. No problem once it's on.

We bought a horse from the same HMA as your Gus about a month ago. He's great! Pretty steady guy, really friendly beginner's type horse with lots of mountain experience but also comfortable in an arena. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on the HMA. What the BLM and Mustangs4Us have is kind of bare-bones. He's stocky, sturdy, big boned, and 14.3 hands. I think I can see some similarities between him and your boy. Same hiney at least.

Breathe said...

It's going so smoothly it's tough to call it breaking! Looking forward to Gus's next lesson...

Eric Clayton said...

I posted some info for the HMA on a previous posting. Let me know what info you are looking for and maybe I can be of some help. Would love to see pics of him..is he a "Stone Cabin Grey" as well?

SkyBar Farm said...

Congratulations! So glad to hear it is all progressing so well.

Andrea said...

Thanks for reminding me to go back and read your post about the Stone Cabin horses. It had the info I was looking for. I just wanted to know what sorts of horses they had there.

Cisco isn't a grey, he's sorrel, and he doesn't look much like a thoroughbred, but I can definitely see him having a good amount of quarter horse in him. He's a little fat and has a crest so he reminds me a bit of a Suffolk Punch right now. :) You can see pictures of him here: http://tinyurl.com/mustangsaga-cisco or if that link doesn't work go to www.mustangsaga.blogspot.com and look at November 18.

FishermansDaughter said...

Wow - lookin good - as always. Congrats on doing such a great job with him.